Frank Gaines: Photo Bucket List Challenge
Frank Gaines has documented Dothan and its history for decades, lending his keen eye as a photographer to chronicle the life and culture of our city. Taken between the 1930s and 1960s, the photographs in this exhibition highlight the historic beauty of Downtown Dothan during its heyday.
Today, Downtown Dothan is experiencing a renaissance. Thanks to groups such as the Dothan Downtown Redevelopment Authority (DDRA) and the Downtown Group, along with attractions and local businesses, Downtown Dothan is reestablishing itself as a vital part of our city. With new businesses locating downtown, a thriving nightlife and many cultural attractions, Downtown is growing to become the “Heart of the City” once again.
Join us this summer in sharing your downtown experience. Participate in our #MyDowntownDothan Bucket List Challenge and experience all downtown has to offer.
How to participate:
- Complete a Bucket List item
- Take a picture or video of your experience
- Upload that picture or video to Twitter and/or Instagram
- Use the hashtag #mydowntowndothan
- You must use the hashtag #mydowntowndothan in order for the photo to count toward winning the contest.
- If we cannot tell what you are doing in the photo, it will not count as a completed experience.
- Have fun and be creative!! The WMA may repost your picture.
What you can win:
Participants who complete the most items on the bucket list are eligible for a chance to win two free tickets to the WMA’s Yard Party for Art. The contest ends on August 20. Happy summer!
The Bucket List:
- Take a selfie with your favorite work at the G.W. Carver Museum.
- Track the Dothan Ice Cream cart and enjoy a delicious, locally produced ice pops.
- Identify the year that the Dothan Riot broke out and then take a picture with your favorite mural.
- Visit Frank Gaines’ Historic Photos of Downtown Dothan exhibit at the Wiregrass Museum of Art.
- Check out a book from the DHCLS Main Branch (the former Houston Love Library).
- Find the Mus-Quoian (the wooden scuplture) at the DHCLS (the former Houston Love Memorial Library).
- Pop in to the Poplar Head Farmers Market.
- Select your favorite car at Foster Fest.
- Go to the clock tower on Foster Street.
- Find the Joseph of Nazareth statue.
- Take a selfie with the Houston County Courthouse bell.
- See a show at the Dothan Opera House or the Civic Center.
- Support Dothan’s roller derby team, Circle City Chaos, at the Civic Center.
- Relax in Porter Park.
- Tickle your taste buds at Blue Moon Cajun Café, Basketcase Café, Firestone Pizza, Bella’s, Delectable Edibles or Oak 151.
- Take a selfie at Bullet’s, KT’s, Chill Lounge, or The District.
- Come to Art After Hours on Thurs., July 16.
- Attend the WMA’s Yard Party for Art on Sat., August 22.